Pages

July 2, 2018

Apple's "Winback Offer" Wants Me to Start Using Apple Music Again…

Ever since I switched to Rdio and then Spotify, I rarely ever opened the iTunes app on my Mac other than to do the occasional iPhone-syncing (even that I rarely ever do recently). So I was a little bit taken aback when I opened it up and it showed me a screen similar to this:

Reddit user ashindn1l3 via MacRumors.com
Turns out, Apple has been rolling out a free month of subscription offers to convince users who once tried Apple Music but havent subscribed to subscribe to it. I once tried the 3-month subscription—I even paid for an extra month, but I never used Apple Music that much so I stopped and switched back to Spotify.


The offer is called "Winback" but Apple is not winning me back, sorry :(

I haven’t been as comfortable with using Apple Music as I have been with Spotify, mainly because of:
  1. The lack of personalized playlists. I haven’t tried out Apple’s My New Music Mix playlist, but I have relied too much on Spotify’s Discover Weekly and Release Radar I can’t bring myself to build another set of playlists. Also, Daily Mix beats Apple Music out of the water.
  2. Lack of automatic syncing with Last.fm. Nope, Last.fm is not dead yet, everyone. It’s alive and well, and I haven’t stopped using it since way back in 2009. “Scrobbling” to Last.fm on Spotify can’t be easier thanks to its built-in integration. I don’t think I can say the same with Apple Music. (Apologies for the plug, but, dear Reader, if you’re using Last.fm and would like to add me as a friend, feel free to visit my profile.)
  3. Apple Music feels too bloated. Apple Music is integrated with iTunes, in which there is already a plethora of features such as apps, podcasts, my iTunes Library, so navigating to Apple Music is not the most intuitive thing in the world.
In terms of music streaming, I think Spotify wins over Apple Music any day. The Apple Music extra trial will end on July 21, but I don’t think I’ll be resubscribing to it. Sorry, Apple. Really appreciate the offer, though!